Quality control in the locoregional treatment of
1. Blamey RW. The British Association of Surgical Oncology Guidelines for surgeons in the management of symptomatic breast disease in the UK (1998 revision). BASO Breast Specialty Group.
Eur J Surg Oncol.1998, 24, 464-476
2. Blichert-Toft M., Smola M.G., Cataliotti L. and O'Higgins N.
Principles and guidelines for surgeons - management of symptomatic breast cancer. European Society of Surgical Oncology.
Eur J Surg Oncol.1997, 23,101-109
3. O'Higgins N., Linos D.A. and Blichert-Toft M. et al. European guidelines for quality assurance in the surgical management of mammographically detected lesions. European Breast Cancer Working Group.
Eur J Surg Oncol.1998, 24, 96-98
4. Christiaens M.R., Cataliotti L. and Fentiman I. et al. Comparison of the surgical procedures for breast conserving treatment of early breast cancer in seven EORTC centres.
Eur J Cancer. 1996, 32A, 1866-1875
5. EUSOMA The requirements of a specialist breast unit.
Eur J Cancer. 2000, 36, 2288-2293
6. Perry N.M. on behalf of the EUSOMA Working Party. Quality assurance in the diagnosis of breast disease.
Eur J Cancer. 2001, 37, 159-172
7. Richards M., Sainsbury R. and Kerr D.
Inequalities in breast cancer care and outcome. Br J Cancer.1997,
8. Samant R. and Ganguly P. Staging investigations in patients with breast
cancer, the role of bone scans and liver imaging. Arch
Surg. 1999, 134, 551-553
9. Dixon J.M., Ravisekar O., Cunningham M., Anderson E.D., Anderson T.J. and Brown H.K. Factors affecting outcome of patients with impalpable breast cancer detected by breast screening.
Br J Surg. 1996, 83, 997-1001
10. Cady B., Falkenberry S.S. and Chung M.A. The surgeon's role in outcome in contemporary breast cancer.
Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2000, 9, 119-132
11. Vrieling C., Collette L., Fourquet A., Hoogenraad W.J., Horiot J., Jager J.J., Pierart M., Poortmans P.M., Struikmans H., Maat B., Van Limbergen E. and Bartelink H. The influence of patient, tumor and treatment factors on the cosmetic results after breast-conserving therapy in the EORTC
"boost vs. no boost" trial. Radiother
Oncol. 2000, 55, 219-232
12. Vrieling C., Collette L. and Fourquet A. et al. The influence of the boost in breast-conserving therapy on cosmetic outcome in the EORTC boost versus no boost trial. EORTC Radiotherapy and Breast Cancer Cooperative Groups. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.1999,
13. van Dongen J.A., Voogd A.C. and Fentiman I.S. et al. Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing breast-conserving therapy with
mastectomy, European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer 10801 trial.
J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000, 92, 1143-1150
14. Morrow M., Harris J.R. and Schnitt S.J. Local control following breast-conserving surgery for invasive
cancer, results of clinical trials. J Natl Cancer Inst.
1995, 87, 1669-1673
15. Morrow M. and Harris J.R. Local management of invasive breast cancer. 2nd edn.
In, Harris J.R., Lippman M.E., Morrow M. and Osborne C.K.,
eds. Diseases of the Breast. Philidelphia, Lippincot Williams Wilkins,
16. Overgaard M. Overview of randomized trials in high risk breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant systemic therapy with or without postmastectomy irradiation.
Semin Radiat Oncol 1999, 9, 292-299
17. Bijker N., Rutgers E.J., Peterse J.L., van Dongen J.A., Hart A.A., Borger J.H. and Kroon B.B. Low risk of locoregional recurrence of primary breast carcinoma after treatment with a modification of the Halsted radical mastectomy and selective use of radiotherapy.
Cancer 1999, 85, 1773-1781
18. Sapunar F. and Smith I.E. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer.
Ann Med. 2000, 32, 43-50
19. Wolff A.C. and Davidson N.E. Primary systemic therapy in operable breast cancer.
J Clin Oncol 2000, 18, 1558-1569
20. Fisher B., Bryant J. and Wolmark N. et al.
Effect of preoperative chemotherapy on the outcome of women with operable breast cancer.
J Clin Oncol. 1998, 16, 2672-2685
21. Mauriac L., MacGrogan G. and Avril A. et al.
Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for operable breast carcinoma larger than 3
cm, a unicentre randomized trial with a 124-month median follow-up. Institut Bergonie Bordeaux Groupe Sein (IBBGS).
Ann Oncol.,1998, 10, 47-52
22. Zurrida S., Greco M. and Veronesi U.
Surgical pitfalls after preoperative chemotherapy in large size breast cancer.
Eur J Surg Oncol 1994, 20, 641-643
23. Hortobagyi G.N., Singletary S.E. and Strom E.A.
Treatment of locally advanced breast cancer. In, Harris J.R., Lippman M.E., Morrow M. and Osborne C.K.
eds. Diseases of the Breast, 2nd edn Philidelphia, Lippincot Williams Wilkins,
24. Esteva F.J. and Hortobagyi G.N. Locally advanced breast cancer.
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 1999, 13, 457-472
25. Schaake-Koning C., van der Linden E.H., Hart G. and Engelsman E. Adjuvant chemo- and hormonal therapy in locally advanced breast
cancer, a randomized clinical study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol
Phys. 1985, 11, 1759-1763
26. Bartelink H., Rubens R.D., van der Schueren E. and Sylvester R.
Hormonal therapy prolongs survival in irradiated locally advanced breast
cancer, a European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Randomized Phase III Trial.
J Clin Oncol. 1997, 15, 207-215
27. Fein D.A., Fowble B.L. and Hanlon A.L. et al.
Identification of women with T1-T2 breast cancer at low risk of positive axillary nodes.
J Surg Oncol 1997, 65, 34-39
28. Maibenco D.C., Weiss L.K., Pawlish K.S. and Severson R.K.
Axillary lymph node metastases associated with small invasive breast carcinomas.
Cancer, 1999, 85, 1530-1536
29. Silver S.A. and Tavassoli F.A.
Mammary ductal carcinoma in situ with microinvasion. Cancer.
1998, 82, 2382-2390
30. Wilking N., Rutqvist L.E., Carstensen J., Mattsson A. and Skoog L.
Prognostic significance of axillary nodal status in primary breast cancer in relation to the number of resected nodes. Stockholm Breast Cancer Study Group.
Acta Oncol. 1992, 31, 29-35
31. Levitt S.H. The importance of locoregional control in the treatment of breast cancer and its impact on survival.
Cancer. 1994, 74, 1840-1846
32. Van de Steene J., Soete G. and Storme G.
Adjuvant radiotherapy for breast cancer significantly improves overall
survival, the missing link. Radiother Oncol.
2000, 55, 263-272
33. Cady B. A contemporary view of axillary dissection.
Ann Surg 2000, 232, 8-9
34. Recht A. Should irradiation replace dissection for patients with breast cancer with clinically negative axillary lymph nodes?.
J Surg Oncol.1999, 72, 184-192
35. Axelsson C.K., Mouridsen H.T. and Zedeler K.
Axillary dissection of level I and II lymph nodes is important in breast cancer classification. The Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group (DBCG).
Eur J Cancer. 1992, 28A, 1415-1418
36. Chetty U., Jack W., Prescott R.J., Tyler C. and Rodger A.
Management of the axilla in operable breast cancer treated by breast
conservation, a randomized clinical trial. Edinburgh Breast Unit. Br J Surg.
2000, 87, 163-169
37. Nieweg O.E., Jansen L., Valdes Olmos R.A., Rutgers E.J., Peterse J.L., Hoefnagel K.A. and Kroon B.B.
Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer.
Eur J Nucl Med. 1999, 26, (Suppl. 4) S11-S16
38. Haigh P.I. and Giuliano A.E. Role of sentinel lymph node dissection in breast cancer.
Ann Med. 2000, 32, 51-56
39. Giuliano A.E. See one, do twenty-five, teach
one, the implementation of sentinel node dissection in breast cancer.
Ann Surg Oncol.1999, 6, 520-521
40. Hoebers F.J., Borger J.H., Hart A.A., Peterse J.L., Rutgers E.J. and Lebesque J.V.
Primary axillary radiotherapy as axillary treatment in breast-conserving therapy for patients with breast carcinoma and clinically negative axillary lymph nodes.
Cancer 2000, 88, 1633-1642
41. Freedman G.M., Fowble B.L., Nicolaou N., Sigurdson E.R., Torosian M.H., Boraas M.C. and Hoffman J.P.
Should internal mammary lymph nodes in breast cancer be a target for the radiation oncologist?.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000, 46, 805-814
42. Schwartz G.F., Solin L.J., Olivotto I.A., Ernster V.L. and Pressman P.I.
Consensus Conference on the Treatment of In Situ Ductal Carcinoma of the Breast, April 22-25, 1999.
Cancer 2000, 88, 946-954
43. Schnitt S.J., Harris J.R. and Smith B.L.
Developing a prognostic index for ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Are we there yet?.
Cancer 1996, 77, 2189-2192
44. Silverstein M.J., Lagios M.D., Groshen S., Waisman J.R., Lewinsky B.S., Martino S., Gamagami P. and Colburn W.J.
The influence of margin width on local control of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.
N Engl J Med. 1999, 340, 1455-1461
45. Silverstein M.J. Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. BMJ.
1998, 317, 734-739
46. Fisher B., Dignam J. and Wolmark N. et al.
Lumpectomy and radiation therapy for the treatment of intraductal breast
cancer, findings from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-17. J
Clin Oncol. 1998, 16, 441-452
47. Julien J.P., Bijker N. and Fentiman I.S. et al.
Radiotherapy in breast-conserving treatment for ductal carcinoma in
situ, first results of the EORTC randomised phase III trial 10853. EORTC Breast Cancer Cooperative Group and EORTC Radiotherapy Group.
Lancet 2000, 355, 528-533
48. Hayes D.F. (2000) Evaluation of patients after primary therapy.
In, Harris J.R., Lippman M.E., Morrow M. and Osborne C.K. (Eds.)
Diseases of the Breast, 2nd
edn Philadelphia, Lippincot Williams Wilkins, 2000,